Thursday, June 4, 2009

To applique or not to applique...








I LOVE, love, love, creating things. When I was teaching I was all about planning interactive activities and fun projects to get my students excited about what we were learning. Now, my creative urge has turned it's head in the direction of our house. Every few months I get the itch to revamp something around the house. Here are a few things that have been keeping me busy the past 6 months ( other than my little man and his two baby friends that stay with me during the day):

1.Refinishing two sets of ends tables for both living rooms... black of course! Black is such a classy and sassy color. Timeless.

2. Revamping our entertainment center after we couldn't get rid of it on Craigslist... black paint with some sand papering to give it the forever and a day worn kind of look. It's amazing what a little paint can do to 30+ year old end tables!

3. Creating and hand stitching ( ouch ) layered green and brown paisley applique designs to my bright red curtains. So FUN and took forever, but totally worth it. I just stitched the two paisley layers together and then used fusible interfacing to attach them to the actual curtains. 26 years old and have no idea how to operate a sewing machine. I think learning how to sew on an actual sewing machine skipped my generation because I can count on one hand how many people my age that I know that can work a sewing machine. I see sewing classes at Michael's in my future :)

4. Recovering dining room chairs with an adorable interlocking green on white floral pattern and whipping up a buffet runner to match with the fabric scraps.

I love, love, LOVE decorating our house and can't get enough of the whole "cottage chic" look. If I actually had the free time, I would be at HomeGoods at least 3 times a week. I am not sure if it is just an East Coast kind of thing or not, but those of you that are not familiar with it check out this link.( HomeGoods) I might just have the tee tiniest bit of an unhealthy addiction to the store. It has helped being at home with the two babies and Noah because we don't make it out past our driveway. I could spend hours in HomeGoods. In fact, I could live in that store. It is beyond heavenly and has absolutely everything you could ever need for your house and for yourself for really affordable prices!
(Maybe a little too affordable to some of the hubbies out there.. haha)

It's been a few weeks since the creative juices were flowing, but tonight I remembered that I have some extra fabric tucked in my craft box and I suddenly had the unstoppable urge to make some appliques to attach to my pillows on our couch. The pillows are a gorgeous red that match the curtains, but they look so plain compared to my Pottery Barn Seraphina patterend pillows... ADORE that pattern and can't get enough of the vibrant colors. I cut out the fabric shapes and attached them to the pillows with straight pins so I could look at them and make up my mind without the commitment that comes along with fusing them to the pillows. So here's the question... to applique or not to applique? Check out the pics (with and without) and tell me what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment